Quote

"Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured"

I am a Healthy Happy Life lover and I believe that starts at home and your belly so this is a place to share great and easy scratch recipes, some inspirational stories, and great life tips!

Email

*If you are interested in receiving more personal tips and coaching please email me! Jenn at jawoolstenhulme@gmail.com*

Monday, October 14, 2013

Talking About Weight and BMI with Children?

So I have so many other post I am in the middle of writing but this is just blowing my mind right now and I have to talk about it. Again, this is my own personal opinion on this! Also, I am very passionate about this and I am sorry if it comes across crud or even confusing in parts I am just so frustrated that this is even happening!

Back story  there was a girl in Florida who plays varsity volleyball whose mother was given a letter from the school claiming her daughter is at risk for obesity. This is a Florida State law to run these test on kids and all of it is based on their Body Mass Index AKA BMI. Okay this is absolutely ridiculous. This is little girl is skinny first of all and I HATE that BMI does not calculate MUSCLE! From one muscular person to another you are not obese just because a machine, which has a 50% accurate rate, says you are!

I think that we as adults are over bombarding our kids with weight! We are so shallow and not allowing our kids to just be healthy happy kids is just sad! Who gives about weight? I say are you eating fruits and veggies? Are you playing outside or doing any athletic activities? Are you parents taking the time to make sure they are eating well and staying active? This is a parent’s responsibility. When I was working at the gym sometimes I would help Life Guard. I remember once that there were two moms with their kids in the pool. They were leaning up against the pool wall and talking about how much they hated their bodies. They were getting very vivid and specific. To no surprise to me one of their daughters, about 10, joined in and said "I know I hate my arms, and my tummy is not flat enough". No exaggeration she probably weighed 80 lbs. BUT that is the example that we are giving our kids these days!! It blows my mind!

Yes, I help transform people to healthier lifestyles for a living. My husband is in chiropractic school and has the same goal as me. Will we talk about weight and clothe sizes with our kids or even in front of them? NO!! They are to be kids. I want them to go and play because it is fun! Not because they need to burn off the brownie they ate! I want them to eat broccoli or watermelon because it tastes good not because they're getting too fat. The last thing I want them to ever do is be worried of how they look or if they are fat! That is the entrance to a lifelong struggle of a relationship with food and body image. I DO NOT want that for my children and I know my husband does not either.

My Husband and I are both big athletes and we are both built "muscular" these are the bodies god blessed us with! Do we chose to take care of ourselves? Yes and that example are all that my kids will need. No discussions, no forcing, and no making our kids feel like they EVER need to worry about counting calories or if they look too fat in there jeans!

Have a Healthy Happy Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment